Is Synthetic Motor Oil Better for Your Car Engine?Posted on: 31, December, 2018
Motor oil is the lubricant needed by your car engine to function. It also limits friction and temperature fluctuations that could lead to engine damage.
Although regular motor oil works perfectly fine, some auto experts and mechanics recommend the use of synthetic oil. Synthetic oil offers several benefits.
If you are considering switching to synthetic oil, here are a few important things you need to know about its use and how it can be advantageous over regular motor oil--
3 Reasons Motor Oil is Important for Your Car Engine
Before we move to the benefits of synthetic oil, it is important that you understand what motor oil does for your car engine.
- It lubricates and protects the different components of the engine against damage from friction and regular wear and tear.
- It helps in regulating extreme temperature variations which otherwise can damage engine parts.
- It increases the efficiency and lifespan of the car engine.
What is Synthetic Oil?
Now let’s get down the big question – What is synthetic oil?
Synthetic oil is an engine lubricant created artificially from certain chemical compounds. A few things to note:
- Regular motor oil (standard oil), on the other hand, is naturally refined from crude.
- Some synthetic oils use conventional oil as the base. Then it is further enhanced with chemically synthesized ingredients. This is sort of like making a green smoothie with fruits and veggies but adding in a scoop of Creatine.
- Some classes of synthetic oil are created using different raw materials as the base ingredient.
All motor oil formulas, synthetic or standard oil based, have close to 20% additives in them. However, synthetic oils are created with higher-quality additives. So, the only differentiating element between the two kinds of motor oils is quality.
The higher-quality additives in synthetic motor oil improves its longevity and makes it more resistant to high temperatures.
Benefits of Synthetic Oil
Since synthetic oil is created with high-quality additives and few impurities, it offers certain advantages that are missing in conventional or standard oil. Consider the following benefits:
- Synthetic oil is thinner, and it offers better engine protection against regular wear and tear.
- It reduces engine damage during frigid startup, and less burn-off in places with very hot summers or climatic conditions.
- When paired with a premium filter, it produces less engine sludge, a boon for older engines that are vulnerable to sludge build-up.
- It offers better fuel economy and improves engine horsepower by reducing engine drag.
- Lower frequency of oil changes – synthetic oil change is recommended every 7,500 miles with premium filter. Conventional oil change is recommended every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.
- Better resistance to oil breakdown and more durable than regular motor oil.
Will My Car Performance Improve with Synthetic Oil?
The answer depends on the kind of car model. For example, new models of European cars such as BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz require full synthetic oil.
Certain Hondas and Toyotas, specifically hybrids, benefit from improved performance and protection offered by full synthetic motor oil.
However, the best way to decide is by going with what is written in your owner’s manual. If it does not say you specifically need to use synthetic motor oil, then regular motor oil will work perfectly fine.
If, however, the manual mentions use of synthetic motor oil, your warranty coverage could be impacted if you don’t use it.
Synthetic motor oil offers substantial benefits. However, if your car does not specifically require synthetic oil, you don't have to switch from using standard oil. Some car owners prefer using standard oil because it is certainly a cheaper option.
Meridian Automotive – Professional Car Repair Service You Can Trust!
If you are confused about the right type of oil for your car, you can speak with any of our car mechanics.
Or if you are looking for professional car repairs or service give Meridian Automotive a call at (208) 297-5573 or schedule an online appointment today!